Name:
Location: Hong Kong, Hong Kong

"Thoughts of Emily" is just a blog about my life. My life trapped in between places I called home. Those being Bangkok, Seattle and now Hong Kong. For now I don't know where I am heading in life. But you can learn more about me by following this blog. :)

Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Story of a Boy Without a Penis

People are not designed to be working against its nature. I always believe that people gender roles are determined and justified by their biological reasons; that their hormones determined how their personalities would be. However, as I read this article, I am exposed to the ideas that genders are not determined by hormones, because “Joan” received hormone treatments, which should have completed the transformation – from a boy to a girl. It is mentioned in the article that “sexual identity exists in a kind of continuum and that nurture is more important than nature in determining gender roles.” Although I disagree to that, but it does make sense since Joan did not response to the treatments as expected, and her personalities are tomboyish. I found it very surprising that “John” – the former “Joan”— turns out to have a tomboyish personality. “She” received the hormones treatments and everyone treated her as though Joan is actually a girl. How would is be possible that she has a male personality. To tell you the truth, I am still pretty confused of what pushes Joan to have those tomboyish personalities.

2 Comments:

Blogger Parin @ RIS said...

I strongly agree that you can't change the way nature made you. Everything is determined since we are in our mother's womb. I am also stunned by the fact that Joan actually turned Tomboy; But, what was the factor that made Joan realize that she is a boy?

7:51 PM  
Blogger Parin @ RIS said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home